As you approach graduation and get ready to move on to the next chapter in your life, know that you are not alone. Your TRSM alumni community is here for you every step of the way! To help prepare you for your journey, we reached out to six recent #TRSMalumni for their advice post-student life.
City of Toronto, Financial Planning Analyst
- Don’t stop networking once you’ve landed your first full-time role.
- Make Microsoft Office your best friend. Use all the programs and try to get the hang of features.
- Try to give back to the Ryerson community by making time for alumni events and engaging with students.
- Never be afraid to take risks, explore your options and step outside of your comfort zone. It’s okay to be unsure and uncertain.
- Failing is natural and it will happen to the best of us. Learn from your mistakes and keep trying until you get it right.
- It’s okay not to find a job the moment you graduate. Finding the right career for you is difficult, but it will come with time and patience. Stay positive!
Toyota Credit Canada, Remarketing Associate
- Speak to your professors. They are your greatest source of real life knowledge.
- Don’t just apply and hope for the best. Seek out the people who you want to work with.
- Shoot your shot. Don’t shy away from an opportunity because it seems above your experience level.
MaRS Discovery District, Associate
- Make reading a lifestyle and love it. Start by reading things you enjoy in small doses.
- Be comfortable with technology. Remain agile and receptive to new processes, structures, and management styles.
- Learning. Thriving in the workplace requires the ability to acquire knowledge every day.
Walmart Canada, Corporate Rotational Associate
- Start job hunting early. You don’t need that diploma in your hand first.
- Research rotational programs. They give you great exposure and are a great transition from school to work life since you don’t have to commit to one job title right away.
- Reach out to alumni. A simple LinkedIn message can go a long way ― we’re all happy to help students become successful graduates any way we can.
Four Seasons Hotel, Reservation Sales & Email Specialist
- Get involved on campus and external associations. Make a difference in your communities.
- Take risks and get out of your comfort zone.
- “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go…” ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go!